As we reach our mid-30s, things like work, stress, relationships, a toxic environment, and gravity begin to take their toll. If you woke up one day and started to notice crow's feet, frown lines, and lines on your forehead, it just proves that you're human. Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control, we start to feel older, and it shows.
Has too much stress caused sleepless nights, over or under-eating, or even anxiety? These factors influence our health, vitality, and the natural aging process.
If you noticed that your skin is no longer as firm as it used to be, and you're looking older, there are things that you can start doing today that can help slow down the aging process.
To age gracefully, you must take care of your body from the inside out. What you put in your body, is just as important as what you put on the outside of your body. That said, here is a list of some of the most important things you can do to slow down the aging process and have beautiful skin.
1. Drink lots of water. Aim to drink at least 64 ounces of water every day.
2. Avoid the sun. The number one cause of wrinkles is sun exposure. If you must be in the sun, wear a sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30. Stay away from tanning beds since they cause wrinkles too.
3. Eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables contain nutrients and anti-oxidants, some of which prevent the formation of free radicals that lead to premature aging, cell damage, and disease.
4. Don't smoke. It is the leading cause of premature wrinkles, and it makes it harder for the body to break down old skin and renew it.
5. Get plenty of sleep. Your body needs sufficient rest to repair itself. If you don't get enough sleep, it can speed up the onset of age-related conditions.
6. Limit sugar. Sugar does not promote a healthy body weight or healthy skin. It also increases the risk of diabetes.
7. Limit alcohol intake. Alcohol dehydrates the skin, thereby depleting it of moisture.
8. Get regular exercise. Exercise is one of the best ways to look and feel your best. It's a great anti-stressor, it improves circulation and skin complexion. Running and weight training are good for increasing metabolism and bone strength; stretching and yoga are also beneficial.
9. Eat plenty of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These can be found in olive oil, ground flaxseed, and salmon.
When You Need a Little Help
Whether you're looking for the best skin care regimen, or to compliment a skin care routine with lasers, chemical peels, injectables, or even surgery, we would be glad to customize a treatment plan that will address your concerns and help you achieve a fresher, more youthful appearance that makes you look as good, if not better than you have looked in years. You can discuss your goals with our Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Yuly Gorodisky.
To learn about our aesthetician services, and your surgical and nonsurgical options, please call our office at (805) 983-1999.