Each year, hundreds of thousands of women opt for breast augmentation surgery. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, not only was breast augmentation the #1 cosmetic surgical procedure in 2013, nearly 300,000 procedures were performed that year.
While breast augmentation surgery increases and restores breast size using silicone gel or saline implants, or in some cases, fat transfer, many women will eventually need breast revision surgery.
Breast implant revision surgery involves the removal or replacing of saline or silicone breast implants. This surgery is performed for several reasons: 1) to correct any complications for your breast augmentation surgery, 2) to change the size of your implants, and 3) to change the shape of your implants.
The overall goal of breast revision surgery is to restore the youthful contour of your breasts and ensure that you're highly satisfied with their appearance. Just as you see the hairdresser periodically, get new BOTOX injections, or get your teeth whitened, breast implants will eventually need some updating too.
When should I consider breast revision?
Our patients want to know when they should consider breast revision surgery, and this is a very good question. If you're planning on getting breast implants and you're wondering when they should be replaced, here's some information that should help you better understand when to consider revision surgery:
- You want to change your breast size (go bigger or smaller)
- You want a different kind of implant
- Your breast implants have shifted in position
- The scar tissue around the implant is tightening (capsular contracture)
- You saline implants have deflated
- You have an X-ray or MRI that suggest your silicone implant is leaking
- Your breast tissue has changed due to weight loss or weight gain
- Your breast tissue changed as a result of skin stretching
Many of our patients who consider breast revision surgery also consider a breast reduction, a breast lift, breast augmentation, and
If you think it may be time to consider breast implant revision surgery, contact our office to meet with our very own Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Yuly Gorodisky!
to meet with our Oxnard plastic surgeon!