According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, in 2016, there were 209,000 eyelid surgeries performed, up 2% from 2015. In the same year, 131,000 facelifts were performed in the United States, up 4% from the year before. The United States also saw a 4% increase in Botox injections between 2015 and 2016. Lastly, office-based procedures were up 3% in 2016, which doesn’t surprise us one bit.
These trends clearly indicate what we’ve seen in our own office: more (and more) people in their 40s, 50s, and older are turning to plastic surgery to address the signs of aging. Let’s take a look at the statistics from 2016:
- 40-54-year-olds received 49% of the total procedures.
- 40-54-year-olds received 7.6 million procedures, up 3% from 2015.
- 7 million people between the ages 40 and 54 received minimally-invasive procedures, up 3% from 2015.
- Individuals 55 and over received 4.1 million cosmetic procedures, up 3% from 2015.
- Individuals 55 and over had 387,000 surgical procedures performed, up 4% from 2015.
- The 55 and over crowd had 3.7 million procedures performed, a 3% increase over the previous year.
(Source: American Society of Plastic Surgeons)
Your Friends Are Probably Doing It
You’re an observant person. Surely, you can probably rattle off several names of close friends, neighbors, co-workers, and even family members who are above the age of 40 who have turned to plastic surgery to turn back the clock and reduce the outward signs of aging.
Combined with a healthy diet, and an active lifestyle, cosmetic surgery can help people in their 40s, 50s, and beyond look as young on the outside as they feel on the inside. While there’s no such thing as a Fountain of Youth, advances in aesthetic surgery has transformed the way the world views aging. In many ways, cosmetic surgery procedures pick up where diet and exercise leave off, leaving the individual looking and feeling their absolute best. Truly, plastic surgery has become the new normal in the field of anti-aging.
If you are intrigued by the idea of seeing how our Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Yuly Gorodisky can help you achieve the look you desire, don’t hesitate to contact our office in Oxnard to schedule your initial consultation! We’d be honored to answer your questions and help you explore all of the procedures available to you.