Once you decide that you want breast augmentation surgery, the next step is to select a board-certified plastic surgeon – a task that can be overwhelming. It’s common to believe that plastic surgeons all produce similar results, but like hairdressers, fine artists, musicians, and even general surgeons, that’s simply not the case.
Just like selecting a landscaper, a personal chef, an interior decorator, a makeup artist, a florist, a wedding planner, or a personal stylist, you have to pay attention to the details. Every plastic surgeon is unique as are their results.
Plastic surgery requires experience and medical knowledge, but it’s also an aesthetic practice and each plastic surgeon has their own style. They all take a unique approach to their patients’ goals, which are reflected in their before and after photos in their galleries.
What Should You Look For?
First, you should consider a plastic surgeon’s education and credentials. Second, you want to look at his or her experience and safety standards. Next, you want to see their work. Our advice is to look through as many before and after pictures as possible.
This way, you can become familiar with the surgeon’s aesthetic style, but you can also get an idea of what kinds of results you can expect with your particular type of body. Here’s how to do it:
- When looking through a surgeon’s gallery, look for women whose “before” breast shape is closest to yours.
- Pay close attention to symmetry. Regardless of how a patient looked before, look at the “after” photo and see if the results meant the woman looked more proportionate than before the surgery.
- Look for natural-looking results. The goal of breast augmentation is to produce beautiful, natural-looking breasts. If all of the surgeon’s after photos look natural, this is a great indicator of a good surgeon.
- Look for excellent results in a variety of body types. Plastic surgery involves an aesthetic eye, but some surgeons struggle to produce beautiful results with all body types. If too many of the after photos look almost identical, the surgeon may have difficulty personalizing a method that fits your body and goals.
- Check to see if the surgeon is thoughtful about scar placement. While all surgeries leave a scar, a truly skilled plastic surgeon will be careful to make incisions in locations that are easy to hide post-surgery.
Related: 4 Questions to Ask a Plastic Surgeon
Schedule an In-Depth Consultation
When you find before and after pictures that you like, it’s time to schedule a consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon, such as Dr. Yuly Gorodisky. During your consultation, Dr. Gorodisky can answer all of your questions and help you determine which size and type of implants would best suit your body and aesthetic goals.