Are you looking to improve the texture of your skin, reduce acne scars, or improve discoloration (brown spots) caused by sun damage? If so, microneedling may be the minimally-invasive procedure you’re looking for. It’s been around since 1995, but thanks to advances in technology, it’s become a popular treatment for those looking to improve the overall appearance of their skin without surgery.
So, what is microneedling and how does it work? In the of simplest terms, the treatment involves very fine, short needles being inserted into the skin. The purpose of microneedling is to rejuvenate the skin. When the fine needles pierce the outermost layer of the skin, they create tiny microchannels. This process stimulates the production of collagen and elastin.
As a result of microneedling, the skin’s texture improves, acne and other scars are reduced, and discoloration is improved. Microneedling can be complimented by other procedures, such as pure hyaluronic acid, platelet-rich plasma, and stem cells.
More About Microneedling
Before you have your first microneedling session, we’ll ask you to stay out of the sun for at least 24 hours. If you’re on any blood-thinning medications or herbal supplements, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or St. John’s wort, we may ask you to avoid using them since they can make bruising worse.
Each microneedling session takes about 30 minutes or less. Before we get started, we’ll cleanse your face and apply numbing cream for maximum comfort during the procedure. Generally, we recommend three to six sessions, spaced a few weeks apart for the best results, which are usually noticeable after the first treatment.
Here’s what to expect after your first treatment:
- After a microneedling session, you should not touch your face for at least four hours.
- You should not apply anything to your face for 24 hours afterward.
- It is critical that you avoid sun exposure for three days after the procedure.
- Avoid exercise and other strenuous activity for 12 hours to reduce redness and bruising.
- In the three days after the procedure, we recommend using a gentle non-foaming cleanser and a special barrier repair moisturizer.
- To reduce swelling and bruising, you can take arnica supplements before and after the session.
- Once the redness and swelling from the procedure dissipate, your skin should already look and feel better. Over the next two or three weeks, your skin will continue to improve in appearance and additional sessions will enhance the results.
To learn more about the benefits of microneedling, contact us today to meet with Dr. Yuly Gorodisky, a board-certified plastic surgeon!