A Simple Guide to Liposuction Aftercare
During a liposuction, we remove excess fat from body areas like the abdomen, hips, waist, buttocks, thighs, knees, chin, cheeks, and upper arms under local or general anesthesia. This procedure is either performed in the office or at an outpatient surgical center depending on the amount of fat that needs to be removed. After the surgery, it is common for patients to experience bruising, swelling, and soreness in the area. These symptoms will be at their worst around 36 to 48 hours after the surgery and will gradually decrease over a period of 10 to 14 days. Some patients also notice small bumps under the skin during this time. This is not a cause of concern. Rather, it Is a sign that the treatment is working. This is because the body sends inflammatory cells to the area to remove damaged fat cells. The best recovery methods will be different for each patient, but below are some of the tips we generally recommend to curb these symptoms:
- Sleep with the area elevated for a few weeks following surgery.
- Wear comfortable, loose clothing.
- Take the antibiotics and pain medications only as prescribed.
- Do not take any additional anti-inflammatory medications unless otherwise advised by our team.
- Avoid smoking for the two weeks prior to and the two weeks following your surgery because nicotine compromises the body’s natural healing process.
- With the exception of showers, wear the compression garment that you are provided for the area for the seven to ten days following the surgery unless otherwise advised by our team. After that, you can wear it at night for the next three to four weeks.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and extreme physical exertion for three weeks after the surgery. Do not participate in contact sports for at least four weeks.
- Avoid excessively touching the area.
It typically takes a patient between six and twelve months before they are able to enjoy the full results of their liposuction. However, most patients are able to see results within a month. After three weeks, the majority of the swelling should be subsided. This is also the point when most patients who want to go on vacation and show off their results are able to do so. West Coast Plastic Surgery Center has man capabilities when it comes to liposuction, from VASER liposuction to BodyTite, FaceTite, SmartLipo, SlimLipo, and more. Because there are so many options when it comes to a liposuction treatment, it’s important to understand which one is right for you. Dr. Gorodisky is happy to provide a free consultation, in which he will walk you through the details of each type of liposuction and what you can expect from each one. Our job is to make sure that we are on the same page when it comes to your liposuction treatment so that you can have the smoothest recovery possible and we can create the best results for your body.
To learn more about our liposuction treatments and what you can expect during your recovery, call us at (805) 978-8545 or contact us online.